We've lived in Korea for and right now in Korea it's

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Valentine's Day and other exciting info

Hello All!

Just wanted to let everyone know that although everywhere else February 14th is a day filled with "I love you" 's, the exchange of gifts and a romantic night out, here it is the official Korean chocolate day. Essentially, Valentine's day here is a holiday where females give chocolate to their enamoured male counterparts. It's been really funny these past two weeks because pink is a very big colour for men in these parts and so most of the chocolate filled baskets that have been done up are huge lacy pink affairs. It's great! Now, I would of course be rather morose during this post if this wonderful country had not made up its own holiday to counter the celebratory inbalance. White day, March 14, is a holiday designed for males giving females candy. I can't wait.

Now to the most important part of this post. Ryan has been playing drums with a couple of guys when they all happen to be out at the pub at the same time for a while now. Shockingly, the bar owner (named Ji-aon, good guy) has scheduled them to play in a club in Seoul! Needless to say they are fantastic. It's great to sit back and listen to them play. I'm a little concerned about the throngs of Korean women "putting off their wears" as Ji-aon so eloquently put it. He has asserted that this is a norm for popular Korean bands. Although my initial reaction was to imagine purchasing a rather large beating stick, (nothing like 'lay'n the beats' I hear) I think I'm just going to go and encourage fully clothed appreciation for Ryan's band. They're playing on the 25th so wish them luck! They're awesome!

3 Comments:

At 10:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all! Becca I would not be jealous just do what Jennifer does when she is jealous, hire the mob for "enforcement" Korea does have mafia does it no? So happy you guys have people comg to visit you. But as your dear friend I must say my envy level of you is HIGH!!!!!!!! when I saw your pics of the class, I yearned for the day when I am a teacher, BAH you are so lucky, you guys look so natural, I cannot wait when Jenn and I do this! Anyways enough about my life, I hope you like your super duper incredibly late Christmas gifts, and your pop up angel card! Alright I am outta here, toodles!

Stevo

 
At 1:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey - have fun @ the gig - send some pics, eh????

can you tape it at all?

dad

 
At 12:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilo you two!!!! We miss you both so much and I am so happy to hear that you guys are having fun. I can't believe the thing about Ryan and the band hahaha! And Becca, no need at all to be jealous. Any girl that comes near... well just call me and age and in a matter of hours (somehow) we will be there with sticks of some sort. hehe no mofia mob thing needed. Plus (here's the always cheesy lindz come'n out) Ry only has eyes for you anyway so you have no need to worry even a wee bit. :) we miss you SOOOO much!!! take care and I hope the show went well! (ps that white day sounds pretty sweet if you ask me... we should have one here! silly valentines day) xoxo bye bye!!!!

love and miss you both SO much
*infinate X's and O's*

love lindz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home