We've lived in Korea for and right now in Korea it's

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Christmas and Family

My family came to visit! It was amazing to have them here after being away for 4 months (I can't believe it's been this long). It was quite a task to get them. They arrived in Korea on Christmas day. It was an eventful day, I mean, of course, Christmas has always been eventful and this by no means was more eventful than, say, the first Christmas, but you know what I mean. Chrtistmas is not really a big deal here in Korea. Thirty percent of the population is Christian but the holiday is quite small in comparison to the two main holidays Chuseok and Solnal. This has the benefit of lessoning the materialistic feel of a Christmas in North America that begins the day after Halloween, but there was a feel that Christmas came without the Chebang that it is entitled to!

Christmas morning we made our way to the car rental shop to pick up the car that we had reserved to pick up my parents, brother and their luggage. Unfortunately upon arrival we were told that a Korean licence was not sufficent to rent a car. Pardon? We're in Korea. For some reason, Koreans can use Korean licences to get cars. Unfortunately, foreigners can only use International Drivers licences to get cars in Korea. We didn't get it, but it's really not all that unusual here for plans to change. We were presented with the option of renting a car without any insurance. We declined as in Korea you get honked at if you stop at a red light at night and the country does not believe in stop signs (amazingly they figure it out though).
And so we arrived at the bus station, took the bus to Incheon, the airport, and waited for their flight. Due to a miscommunication about flights we were sort-of maybe waiting at the wrong gate. Miraculously, my brother stumbled upon us waiting for them and it all got sorted out. Thank goodness!

The rest of the trip went smoothly and we didn't lose them again. Christmas was spectacular and they brought us many much missed items from home - my grandmothers' jam and shortbread cookies along with Christmas presents, and maple and oreo cookies!
My parents came into the school we work at and got to see some of the students who are participating in a penpal program with their school. Bruce came out with us for his first $17 all you can drink night and experienced the neon jungle that is Korea after 9:00pm.
For New Years we went to Seoul and my parents Christmas shopped it up. We were actually able to rent a car with insurance with another company and got them to Daecheon near the ocean. A little too cold for swimming but the beach is renowned for sea shells. There they had exciting cultural and language barrier experiences that are quite frequent. The two elevators in the hotel went only to odd or even floors. Try understanding that in Korean. Pools here have very specific rules and regulations. Who really knows what they are?! The lifeguards just kind of yell sometimes. All in all I think they had a good time. We were a little worried about what kind of food they would enjoy but I think that we've been here long enough to safely navigate towards the galbi bliss as opposed to the octopus (think spicy rubber bands in hot water, and you're close).

Anyway, it was a phenomenal visit. We loved it. We want some more of it. Therefore if anyone is intersted in vacationing in Korea, we would love to have you!

6 Comments:

At 2:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww that sounds like an amazing visit with your family. I can't wait to see you guys next month.

 
At 3:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,

As tempted as I am to leave this country, because stupid Canada isn't even cold!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR! I want it to be-35 and snow up to my bellybutton!! ANYWAYS it was good you guys got to see some family, we miss you all very much.

Ciao
Stevo

 
At 2:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That had to be one of the most enjoyable vacations I have ever experienced (When Becca was 2 we went to Florida - who knew sand between her toes was going to be such a big deal?). The most gracious of hosts, you guys treated us to a facinating glimpse of your experience - many, many thanks! We had an incredible time and loved every minute of our time with you two. I'm astonished with your facility with Korean in only 4 months and very impressed with what you have accomplished with your students and the raport you have with the staff. The trip back was fairly uneventful - teleportation will be my next mode - though (I guess due to age) it's taken most of the week to recover from the time change. It was so very good to see you and spend the time. Thank you, again! Love you both.

 
At 7:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear you had a great visit with your family Becca. Pat and I can't wait to see you guys too.Besides just being together again, it's going to be fantastic to get a little taste of your lives in Korea.

See you at the end of the month!!

 
At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.... umm.... yea... I miss you guys more than chocolate, and its been a WHILE since I had some chocolate... and you know I love my chocolate. hehe point being, come home.

I'm only 1/2 kidding about coming home. I love that you guys are having such an amazing time. I wish that I could come and see what it is like for you guys there. What an adventure!!!

Being here in Peterborough is an advanture too... I get to jump in puddles in January one day, then ice scate from my house to down town the next. (OH MAN IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!) the side walks were TOTALLY COVERED in ICE! I litterally slid the whole way to downtown, laughing and occasionally falling. :)

AAAANYWAY, I love you guys so so SO much and Peterborough isn't the same without you two. (you are missed by SO many) take care ok? I love you both RIDICULOUSLY hehe (thanks for showing me the wonderful world of spelling Ry, although I do belive I am a lost cause.) BYE for now! infanate x's and o's

~*LiNdZ*~

 
At 5:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to throw it in there I had an amazing time even after the all you can drink $17 night. All I have to say is Ryan drinks like whale.

Honestly I m amazed at how you are able to survive korea. Every one Information System Security also says hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home